6.10.2011

Course Topics






I am writing this blog out of purely selfish reasons:

  1.  I have too much going on in my head, and it makes me feel a little better about writing things out if I think it might have a purpose, or somebody might be listening to me.
  2. I need a project. Right now, all of the driving forces in my life are because I need to do it for basic keep-things-going reasons, or because I want to make everyone in my life happy with me. I need a project where the only purpose is to keep myself happy.
  3. I like writing. I used to write a lot before I got to college and lost the drive and time.
Despite these completely selfish reasons, I am hoping to provide some thought provoking content and entertainment. Some of my best beauty tips, recipes, favorite pictures and random trivia came from reading blogs. I’ve learned a lot about self-image, personal insight and life habits from reading blogs. It really isn’t surprising that some of my best ideas lately are inspired by my daily internet reading. Get a large group of eclectic individuals, and really interesting things happen. 

So, what can you expect to see here?

Random bits. I don’t know how else to explain- I am writing this for fun, so I don’t feel like I have a message or theme I have to stick to, and I get some really great flashes of ideas that might be worth a little fleshing out. (Mostly from NPR. I heart you, NPR.) Also, pretty pictures, random life tips, and internet favorite things.

Deep Thoughts. I find pretty much anything about the human brain and psychology fascinating, mostly because I feel at odds with my own brain/subconscious much of the time. I also have opinions on all sorts of topics I'm not qualified to expound on.

Science. I am a microbiologist, and I absolutely love everything about microbiology and molecular biology. The first topics I want to write some manifestoes essays about are genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and HIV/AIDS and why there isn’t a vaccine yet.

Literature. I have a project that I would like to write about as I do it. I’m trying to read The Western Canon as it is defined by Harold Bloom . If you stop by that list, you will see that there are about 1,500 works listed. Look at that list! So cool! I have always read a lot, but I’m really short on things that are considered classics, and I’m wondering what I am missing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting a link to the Western Cannon. I love reading and this list will serve as a guide for me to pick up something new. I was happy to see my favorite authors: Edith Wharton, Frank Norris, Theodore Dreiser and Thorton Wilder on the list. Not everyone remembers or appreciates their work anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you point out why I am setting out on this ridiculous project. I've never read any of those authors, but Edith Wharton sounds vaguely familiar.
    Reading through the list of books was a little disheartening that way- Familiar authors and titles, but I have not read much of anything from that list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big proponent of "if you want to be a writer you should be a prolific reader" for the same reason that I, an artist, spend time in museums looking at art. To me there is great joy in watching the process unfold and learning from that, as there is in being enveloped by the work.

    ReplyDelete